Director of Membership & Visitor Services
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Director of Membership & Visitor Services, a key senior leader at the Barnes, who is responsible for the two largest areas impacting the visitor experience: audience engagement and the annual operations budget. Unique to the Barnes’s External Affairs model is this Director’s responsibility to influence directly the conversion of visitors to members. With an analytical, data driven approach, the Director is responsible for managing and maximizing income potential from individuals through visitation and membership. In addition to shaping the various ticketing, group sales and premier ticket offerings, the position directs the strategies and implementation of a comprehensive multi-channel general membership program focused on growth of new members, retention of current members, re-enrolling lapsed members and upgrading of membership categories. This position has overall responsibility for Membership, Group Sales, Volunteer Management, Business Systems and Visitor Services.
Established as an educational institution the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation's art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. The 12-acre Arboretum contains over 3,000 species of woody plants and trees.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
· Leads the Visitor Services team, setting a vision for a smooth, easy and enjoyable visitor experience at all touch points throughout the building; ensures that the department structure, procedures and practices support effective and efficient operations; and makes recommendations to executive staff for improvements to the visitor experience as they pertain to quality of service, amenities, facilities, policies and procedures.
· Develops a range of ticket offerings for general admission, exhibitions, and experience-based premium pricing that provides the Foundation’s largest source of earned income.
· Oversees capacity management of the Collection Gallery with an eye toward maximizing ticketing sales during public hours, collaborating with Collections and Security to ensure the safety of the collection.
· Oversees the creation and distribution of regular attendance reports and trends, tracking advance sales, final sales, sales by visitor type, and revenue for Barnes Foundation senior leadership.
· Directs the general membership program and supervises Membership staff.
- Develops and directs strategies driving integrated mail, on-line and telephone campaigns to acquire, upgrade and renew members and donors.
- Identifies, stewards and solicits members that are prospects for upper-level giving and major gifts.
· Directs a robust and unique group sales operation designed to offer a range of group visitation and dining experiences offered at multiple price points to attract a broad range of consumers. Continually develops new group offerings as opportunities arise. Works collaboratively with the Marketing and Group Sales staff in developing promotional print collateral and web-based communications.
· Oversees the Volunteer and Gallery Guide Manager and a vibrant volunteer program which supports both premium ticketing opportunities through docent tours, gallery guides, and docent presentations, as well as visitor services volunteers and other budget relieving volunteer positions that support the Barnes’s operations and mission.
· Works collaboratively with the Communications team in developing research needs to monitor and evaluate market awareness, pricing, visitor satisfaction and product offerings.
· Works collaboratively with the Public Programs Manager in developing programs and experiences that support, expand and enrich the visitor experience and revenue opportunities.
- Meets regularly with Communications and Marketing team to anticipate upcoming ad and press coverage, propose possible promotional efforts or discounting.
- Works closely with 1st and Fresh caterers and the Director of Event Operations in creating food and beverage opportunities that support and enhance the individual and group visitor experience with an eye to offering attractive revenue-generating offerings (i.e. dinner and tour packages, group dining packages.
- Participates in the monthly Operations Meeting.
- Maintains an awareness of Visitor Services and membership trends, as well as advances in the marketplace and nationally.
- Participates in External Affairs long-term planning.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Bachelor of Arts required; advanced degree in business, hospitality, arts administration or related fields preferred.
- 10 years+ progressively responsible experience in fundraising, membership, development, visitor services, hotel or retail management.
- Strong analytical and budget management skills.
- Excellent managerial and leadership abilities.
- Must enjoy working with the public and demonstrate friendliness, professionalism, enthusiasm and a customer-centric approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized and highly detail oriented with an ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment individually or in a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel a must, and a knowledge of Raisers Edge and ticketing systems a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and professional skills necessary to work effectively with all Foundation constituents.
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
To Apply: Please apply online
Please include your cover letter, a list of three professional references and resume with your application. Applications that fail to fulfill this requirement will not be accepted.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
We participate in E-Verify.
Post a Comment