Director of Visitor Services and Business Initiatives
Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Director of Visitor Services and Business Initiatives to oversee The Barnes Foundation’s largest department in both terms of staffing and earned revenue goals. With an analytical, data driven approach, the Director is responsible for managing and maximizing earned income potential from individual and group ticket sales, tours, and other premium priced visitor experiences. The position manages Visitor Services’ expense and revenue budget, forecasting, tracks advance sales, attendance trends, gallery capacities and flow, and pursues new and existing revenue opportunities. The Director oversees the Director of Visitor Services Operations, Group Sales Manager and Volunteer and Gallery Guide Manager, overseeing the delivery a premier guest experience that fosters increased engagement with The Barnes Foundation.
Established as an educational institution the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation's art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. The 12-acre Arboretum contains over 3,000 species of woody plants and trees.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
· Develops and manages a range of ticket offerings for general admission, exhibitions, and experience-based premium pricing that provides the Foundation’s largest source of earned income.
· Oversees capacity management of the Collection Gallery with an eye toward maximizing ticketing sales during public hours, collaborating with Collections and Security to ensure the safety of the collection.
· Manages, produces and distributes regular attendance reports and trends, tracking advance sales, final sales, sales by visitor type, and revenue for Barnes Foundation senior leadership.
· Works to provide visitors a smooth, easy and enjoyable experience at all touch points throughout the building and makes recommendations to executive staff for improvements to the visitor experience as they pertain to quality of service, amenities, facilities, policies and procedures.
· Analyzes reports and statistics for use in developing new and improved policies and procedures for ticketing and pricing.
· Oversees a robust and unique group sales operation designed to offer a range of group visitation and dining experiences offered at multiple price points to attract a board range of consumers. Continually develops new group offerings as opportunities arise. Works collaboratively with the Marketing and Group Sales Managers in developing promotional print collateral and web-based communications.
· Oversees the Volunteer and Gallery Guide Manager and a vibrant volunteer program which supports both premium ticketing opportunities through docent tours, gallery guides, and docent presentations, as well as visitor services volunteers and other budget relieving volunteer positions that support the Barnes’s operations and mission.
· Works collaboratively with Philadelphia’s premier cultural institutions and tourism agencies in developing ticketing and cross-promotional opportunities.
· Works collaboratively with the Public Programs Manager and Director of Audience Engagement Strategy and Analysis in developing programs and experiences that support, expand and enrich the visitor experience and revenue opportunities.
· Works closely with the Membership staff in fostering onsite membership sales and ensuring a high quality onsite member experience.
- Meets regularly with Communications and Marketing team to anticipate upcoming ad and press coverage, propose possible promotional efforts or discounting.
- Works closely with 1st and Fresh caterers and the Director of Event Operations in creating food and beverage opportunities that support and enhance the individual and group visitor experience with an eye to offering attractive revenue-generating offerings (i.e. dinner and tour packages, group dining packages.
- Participates in the monthly Operations Meeting.
- Maintains an awareness of Visitor Services trends and advances in the marketplace and nationally.
- Participates in External Affairs long-term planning.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor of Arts required; advanced degree in business, hospitality, arts administration or related fields preferred.
- 10 years+ progressively responsible experience in visitor services, hotel or retail management.
- Strong analytical and budget management skills
- Must enjoy working with the public and demonstrate friendliness, professionalism, enthusiasm and a customer-centric approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organized and highly detail oriented with an ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment individually or in a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel a must, and a knowledge of Raisers Edge and ticketing systems a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and professional skills necessary to work effectively with all Foundation constituents.
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.
To Apply: Please apply online:
Please create a single document that includes your cover letter, resume and the names of three professional references to upload with your application. Applications that fail to fulfill this requirement will not be accepted.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. We participate in E-Verify.